During the last days I have been studying more about being a Content Writer . The main question I had was “where should I start from if I write for other people?”
Maybe you have the same question, so I wrote this article for you, with clues that can help you to find answers.
WHAT KIND OF CONTENT CAN YOU WRITE ?
Content Writer is by itself a very vague concept. Most of us can write about something , but what is the type of content you can write about better? Let’s have a look!
Blogs are posts with a more casual language , using a personal tone and are mostly about some specific subject as a hobby (like crafts, drawing, photography, football…) or trivial events of someone’s life.
A blog can have between 300 and 2000 words (even if actually the minimum required by professionals because of SEO is more than 500 words). Most blogs that rank higher in Google have at least 500 to 1000 words per post.
An article tends to be more informative and less subjective. The number of words is higher when compared with a blog : 800 to 5000 words.
If you want to become a content writer with expertise in articles, prepare to do more research.
Maybe you love to write fiction , romance or children’s stories. Then, there is also place for you, not only in platforms as Fiverr or Upwork but also in Amazon where you can become a renowned author.
Do you imagine yourself writing for a company or shop about their products?
When writing a product description you should tell what a product is and why somebody should purchase it , using persuasive words, in order to help increasing the sales .
The number of words varies . A common description has between 150-400 words.
The next question is :
SHOULD I WRITE AS A FREELANCE IN PLATFORMS OR BUILD MY OWN WEBSITE?
This answer is very personal.
As a mother of three small children, living abroad and with no help from relatives I can tell you that I like to work with my own websites but I don’t find time to create products or make marketing in Social Media . For that reason, I am now searching work in Freelance platforms.
To work for yourself you need to make the extra effort to spread you work through different Social Media platforms. Moreover, you need to create products to sell or work with affiliate markets.
If you work for somebody else, you will write something and be paid for that.
Don’t think is that easy.
You will need to stand out of the crowd somehow, showing samples of your work and have very good skills.
Anyway, with some effort you can do it.
Let’s now have a look in where can you write, if you want to build your own website or if you want to work for somebody else.
BEST WEBSITE BUILDERS (in case you want your own website):
BEST PLATFORMS ( to work as a freelancer):
TIPS IF YOU CHOOSE TO BE A FREELANCER
- Create a variety of samples: blog, article, book chapter or article description. This will show the interested person in your work, what you can do.
- Write your samples in Google Docs, so you can easily share your samples, through a link. If you have blogs or websites where you write, you can also share them. Just be sure there are no typos ( grammatical or orthographic errors).
- When writing, eliminate all “fluff” and write “juicy”content. This means your writing should be informative, go straight to the point without repeating yourself or writing just to reach the minimum number of words.
- When writing, each paragraph should not be longer than three to four lines.
- When writing an article, make a search about it and include statistics, fun facts and get inspired from trading articles.
- Read your article out loud or read it to friend or relatives, so they can provide you critical feedback.
- Do not charge less than 15 dollars per work (for example, 15 dollars for a 150 words description).
- Be kind with the client and thank him (or her) for the time, order and questions and make him feel welcome and good with the purchase , so you can have positive reviews and increase the number of future clients.
- Always deliver your work on time and, if possible, a little bit before the requested date .
- Is very probable that you have to deal with scammers, people that want you to do their work for free and avoids to pay you , saying they will give you a bad review if you do not give the money back. Charge your work and, if necessary and possible, report or block them .
- Always charge rush service , because your time is valuable. Don’t feel guilty.
Before we finish, let’s have a look in some of the
Most common terminology used when somebody is hiring you to write
Deliverables are basically the work you need to do .
We already have a post about this subject in our blog. You can have a look HERE.
In a very resumed way it concerns to the proper keyword used in an article.
It means Kindle direct publishing , the platform used for self publishing posted on Amazon.
Using too many keywords in a post.
Main content excluding introduction and conclusion.
The word used for “content”.
info that grabs attention.
The second paragraph of a topic that answers the question .
With this said you are ready to start. If you have any extra tip share it with us.